Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Adventure Continues

Sobremesa has been blessed with so many things and people... There are times when I just sit back (in AWE) and breath in the Good News. It's amazing. I liken it to times when I have been filled with pride and love for my family and their accomplishments (my sister and her wedding, my cousin getting into Penn State and on and on). Louie achieved the Marianist Heritage Award at Central Catholic on Friday. I was blessed to attend the Chaminade Day mass with his family and the Central Catholic Community. It was a special mass to attend as I was yet again surrounded with Marianists...both vowed and lay Marianists. To top it off... to have Louie receive the award and speak was an inspiring thing. He truly does live out the Marianist Charism in such an intentional way. I am thankful to have him as my community mate, challenging me to live in the same manner and supporting me as we bring our community to the greater community. It's awesome. Congratulations Louie.
The past two Fridays have been filled with interviews from Chaminade College Preparatory West Hills Middle School. My friend, Kate, teaches religion there and "brought me in" via skype to share what it is like to be Lay Marianist and to live in community. Although I have opportunities to talk about community and live out the Charism... our interviews excited me. They reminded me of the opportunity and gift community is.... and helped change my perspective on the changes Sobremesa is experiencing. There are other things that have helped change my perspective: talking to Louie EXTENSIVELY, talking with Bro. Mike (our Spiritual Guide/Companion on the Journey), praying, and seeing Jhonny and Clare together. It is sad to see Clare go. But it is beautiful to see her love Jhonny, to see her in love with her new community. I pray that Clare feels our support and love for her and Jhonny.
The students reminded me that both Louie and I chose to do this every day. That we both struggle with accommodating each other and living with radical hospitality towards not only ourselves, but our greater community. They challenged me to think about the challenge it is to be Lay Marianist... the responsibility/call to serve others. To think about how Sobremesa has a blank canvas... what are we going to do with it. What i give up by saying YES to community and Sobremesa. They reminded me that Sobremesa does not exist only within the house at Norman Lane... but within the greater Marianist world... and San Antonio world. It only exists because of the continued support of our friends and family.... YOU!!!
Both Louie and I have come to the conclusion that there is so much more for us here within Sobremesa. The call is here.... and now.... and I think we are both feeling the Spirit.
Last week, Louie eluded to the call to community... and if that was something you would/could be called to. If that is the case, we want to talk to you! Email us (sobremesamlc@gmail.com), call us, post a comment. We want to start the conversation, continue the conversation.

1 comment:

  1. Just want to say I think you guys are awesome! I can't wait to share some time together and for you to share your vision and commitment with the Marianist Lay Formation Initiative!
    Pati

    ReplyDelete