Saturday, November 3, 2012

Choices


Choices

Every day we are surrounded by choices. We have choices to make at home, in our work place, in social circles, etc.

As a speech pathologist, choices are something we often work on. It allows that student some ownership and freedom . In our community, I am challenged daily with different choices impacting the community. I struggle most with knowing what choice will be most supportive or least destructive to our flow as Sobremesa. If I choose to work late, see a friend, go on a date… then I ultimately take myself away from Sobremesa. I miss out on my favorite times with my community mates… sharing our daily struggles and stories. If I choose to fold Louie’s laundry, call Clare, make dinner, workout together, or have a beer/glass of wine with Clare and Louie then I am showing them they matter to me and I care about them. In the same way their choices show me time and time again that they care about me. A simple text or email asking about my day after a hard week, a gift on the table for All Saints Day, a smile or hug, or time spent chatting on the couch… their daily choices show me their support for who I am as a person.

As a co-worker stared at a catalog the other day, she described a study she once heard about. People were broken down into different groups, each group given differing numbers of “solutions” to “problems”. The group with the fewest choices slept the best and was, in turn, the happiest. The group with more choices felt unrest, slept less, and rated themselves less happy. My co-worker was staring at the 4th page of glue sticks you could choose from, saying maybe this is why the United States is in the state that it is…. Too many choices.

With all of the choices we I have access to… I want to challenge myself to be more aware of the impact my choices make on others. The positive and negative affect my choices have on my friends, co-workers, students, and especially my community. I want to be more aware… more present… and show them that they are a priority to me.

A phrase that is often shared here at Sobremesa is “Choice determines situation.”

From Radical Hospitality- “We are created by our choices, and we create the world by those choices.”

Mary Anne Admacher- “We define each moment by what we choose to care about.”

No comments:

Post a Comment